Top 10 blogs that every freelance writer should be reading
Dear freelance writer, are you making the most of your spare time? You know, the time you set aside for learning and perfecting your craft? If not, you might want to keep your eyes open for a minute because today I am going to show you ten blogs that every freelance writer should be reading.
Below you will find the list along with some information about each website and links to some of my favorite articles they’ve written – sort of a crash course overview of their awesomeness I hope you enjoy the list and find a few blogs that you don’t currently subscribe to.
Learn something new every day and you’ll always be smarter than you were the day before.
Started by the creator of Zen Habits, Leo Babauta built this blog into 20K+ subscribers and a wealth of knowledge for freelance writers to soak up.
- 31 ways to find inspiration for your writing
- Learn from the greats: 7 writing habits of amazing writers
- 10 steps to create the habit of writing
A blog that I’m sure every writer under the sun is familiar with, Brian Clark has built a freelance writing blog that not only has over 130,000 subscribers but it also posts daily content that will have you rethinking pretty much everything you’ve ever written. Powerful stuff.
- Why No One Links to Your Best Posts (And What to Do About It)
- The 8 habits of highly effective bloggers
- 10 timeless persuasive writing techniques
Started by James Chartrand, the pen name of the copywriter who started Men With Pens, it’s become a staple in the freelance writing industry, with tons of high quality information and in depth articles that don’t just skim the surface.
- Three ways writers evolve over time
- How to unblock your writing and create effortless words
- How to find your writing voice
Featured in our recent post about places to find freelance writing jobs, the Freelance Writing Jobs website is back on our lists again. Not only is it a great place to find work as a freelance writer, it’s also an awesome blog with tons of useful content for freelance writers to eat up.
- I’m a ghostwriter, get over it
- Be contract smart: 7 copyright terms to know
- Getting more work from your existing clients
The amount of writing Chris does on a daily basis is astounding. Article after article of high quality content on social media, business, etc. If I could only keep up with one blog, ever, this would be in the running as a blog I couldn’t live without reading.
The tagline of this website fits perfectly – Personal Development for Smart People. It’s definitely a blog that’s geared towards people who don’t just skim articles but actually sit down and digest them, with a lot of the articles being between 2,000-4,000 words. However, Steve has an awesome writing style which makes it easy to read and it’s packed with amazing insight.
- How to discover your life purpose in about 20 minutes
- The law of attraction
- 33 rules to boost your productivity
The go to source for everything blogging, Darren has built an empire out of his Problogger blog over the past five years. Writing every day for 5+ years, he’s built a loyal following – and a business. The knowledge you’ll pick up from the Problogger blog will not only help you if you’re blogging but it also translates well into advice for writing of any kind.
- Overcoming blogger fright
- 5 sales email myths that are costing you money
- 10 David Ogilvy quotes that could revolutionize your blogging
What’s in a name? Apparently with this blog, everything If you’d like to read daily writing tips, no matter what day it is, you’re in luck because Daily Writing Tips has been pumping out amazing content for almost four years straight and it doesn’t show any signs of stopping.
Michael Stelzner’s name should ring bells in most copywriter circles, and for good reason – he’s a genius with a pen. This is the blog he runs where he discusses white papers (some call them ebooks, I call them guides, etc) and he steadily streams awesome tips and tricks for being a better writer and marketer of your writing.
- Secret to writing success: visualize your reader
- 10 reasons to write your business book now
- Why the world is tuning out (and why you need to change)
As a part of the huge Fuel Network, Fuel Your Writing does a great job of providing you with regular reading material relating to all things writing. With everything from writing tips, tools and inspiration, you’re bound to find a lot of useful writing topics here.
- Don’t let the “B” word ruin your writing
- Power of words: The King’s Speech and Good Writing
- 10 ways to improve your writing
Got a candidate that we missed?
I know there’s freelance writers out there and maybe you blog and would like to have your blog featured in a list like this. Submit a comment below with some info about your blog (and a link), and who knows – maybe we’ll run a “top ten freelance writing blogs run by readers of Guerrilla Freelancing” post